Monday, October 6, 2008

Denise McGill Questions

I really enjoyed going to the Denise McGill exhibit and seeing her photographs up close and in print. I was kind of nervous about asking her some questions but I found that when I actually started talking to her she was very personable and willing to answer all of my questions. The first question I asked her was if she found one subject more interesting/fulfilling to shoot. She said that of all the works she has done she really enjoys documenting the story of different refugee's. I also asked her if she just takes her camera out into her daily life and takes pictures for herself, not necessarily on a mission. She said that yes she did and more often than not she found that some of these photos turned into photo's she put in her exhibits. Then last question I asked her was what to do if a student, like myself, was limited by the ability of my camera, she assured me that point-and-shoot cameras were not that bad and in fact has shot some of the photos in her collection with a run of the mill point-and-shoot. I found the experience rewarding and am glad that I had the opportunity to observe such a talented photographer.

No comments: